Imagine LA's Mentors Are Our Magic!
Imagine LA Volunteer Mentors serve as friends, partners, and companions for parents and children who have experienced homelessness on their individual and family journeys.
COVID-19 PIVOT: As we all cope with the COVID-19 crisis, the health and security of our families, mentors, and staff is our top priority. As such, we have pivoted our Mentorship program to be FULLY VIRTUAL for the duration of the crisis. This includes shifting to VIRTUAL platforms for our training sessions, family & mentor kickoff meetings, and all mentor-mentee interactions. When local and national health guidelines are lifted, mentors and mentees will start/continue in-person activities.
- 21 years or older
- Live in Greater Los Angeles
- Believe in the power of relationships
- Eager to help families meet their goals
The Mentor Experience
- One-on-one relationship-building and mentoring activities with your youth or adult mentee (e.g., trips to the beach, help with science project, budgeting or resumé writing)
- Ongoing support and resources from Imagine LA Family Team Manager
- Other volunteer opportunities with Imagine LA (optional)
What’s the Commitment?
- Twice monthly visits with your mentee (1-2 hours each) (4-6 hours per month)
- Twice monthly text/email/call with your mentee (off-weeks) (30 min per month)
- Twice monthly Mentor Team Conference Calls with your Family Team Manager (1 hour per month)
- Communication with Imagine LA (30 min per month)
- Quarterly potluck-style meetings with your family & Family Team Manager (2 hours per quarter)
- Total: 6-8 hours per month
- Program lasts 12-18 months
- It feels great!
- Learn new skills & build new relationships
- Networking opportunities
- Be an agent of long-term change
- Transformative vs. transactional volunteering